From R1 Visa to EB-4 Green Card: How to Fill Out USCIS Form I-360 Step by Step Guide

If you’ve been working as a religious worker in the United States for at least two (2) years, you can start the process of becoming a permanent resident by applying for USCIS Form I-360. Here’s a step by step guide on how to fill out USCIS Form I-360.

Before you proceed, make sure that you have read this article:

Download the USCIS Form I-360

Go to to download the form, the instructions, and the optional checklist. Familiarize yourself with the form and start preparing the supporting documents you’ll need.

Take your R-1 Visa Supporting Documents and use them as reference.

Almost all of the documents that you and your employer submitted for the I-129 petition for your R-1 visa will come in handy for the I-360. In fact, thanks to those documents, I was able to easily navigate the requirements for the i-360.

Watch this step-by-step video guide.

If you’re more of a “show-me-how” type of person, please watch this video tutorial I published on my YouTube channel.

List of Documents You Need to Prepare

Here’s a list of documents you need to prepare.

  1. Cover Letter. Download a free cover letter here:
  2. Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant
  3. Letter of Support from employer, with additional supporting documents (see below)
  4. Copies of current passport with current R-1 visa, R-1 Extension Approval Notice, initial R-1 Approval Notice, prior passport with R-1 visa, and most recent I-94 Admission Document;
  5. Copies of spouse’s current passport, R-2 extension approval notice, prior passport with R-2 visa, and I-94 admission document;
  6. Copies of child’s current passport, R-2 extension approval notice, prior passport with R-2 visa, and I-94 admission document;
  7. Copy of marriage certificate;
  8. Copy of the birth certificate of child; and
  9. Filing fees in the amount of $435 (Form I-360) in Postal Money Order.

Additional documents in addition to letter of support from employer:

  • Excerpts from the website or organizing document of your employer, showing the kind of work it does, including work that you do;
  • Tax exemption notice from the IRS confirming the tax exempt status of your employer
  • Recent printout from the IRS’s Exempt Organizations Select Check Website ( confirming that your employer and the religious organization it belongs to remains tax-exempt;
  • Letter from the IRS confirming the Employer ID Number (EID) of your employer;
  • Job Description for your position
  • Consolidated Financial Statements and Schedules of your organization (to show that it is in good financial standing and has the ability to pay for your salary).
  • Your certificate of baptism or proof of membership in your church or religion;
  • Letter or certification from your pastor, bishop, or religious leader that you’ve been a member for at least two years prior to applying for the R1 visa and Permanent Lawful Residence.
  • Carefully review the Instructions for the USCIS Form I-360 and provide any other document that could support your application.


If you have any questions, suggestions, and if I miss anything, just leave them in the comments below and I will answer to the best of my knowledge and experience!


  1. Hi sir
    I came to usa R1 visa May 2019 visa expiry date is Nov 2020.
    Relious org. Is visa extend form is apply to i539 intensionally org. Late file my extend form for the other employee
    Butt org. Is not any provide me any i539 deatails .
    Also he is intensionally lately file to i360 petitions but org is not give me any deatails as recipet notice i797c
    Also org. Is not paid my sallary sep 2021 to feb 2022
    & org . Forcefully booked my home country ticket i m now india
    How to come again usa
    I m apply to T visa or U visa or asylum in usa ?

  2. Hi Mighty, first of all thank you for all the information you are sharing, it has been a great blessing! I’m putting together all the paperwork to apply for or green card. Do you have an example of the “Letter of Support from Employer”?

  3. Hi there,

    Many thanks for putting out the video helping Religious workers to apply for I 360. My name is Divyanshu Rajore and I am a monk working in a religious organization and currently residing in the United States on R1. My organization had applied for I 360 in March last year and the it got approved in May 2023. Now, as I understand, for me to be able to get a green card I or my organization will need to apply for I-485. Could you please guide when can I apply for the I-485? What does the priority date mean on the Visa Bulletins, and whether these priority dates are applicable in my case as well because I am already residing in the United States.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated, as unfortunately our lawyer does not reply and is very rude. I don’t have a lot of money to employ the services of another lawyer personally.

    Thank you.

    God Bless.


  4. Hello! My dad is an immigrant and President Pastor of a church in Massachusetts for the past 17 years. He came through the border meaning he never had a visa…the way you described the I-360 seems as if you have to have a active visa in order to apply. Is there a way to make this application in my dad’s case?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *